all my lies are only wishes

I am a bad blogger. I remember that I have a blog about once a year, but I always think I'll write more.

jueves, octubre 13, 2005

when i'm bold...

i have been given some relief for the week. i had two midterms this week in my hardest classes. for my scriptures 1 class i studies an absurd amount of hours, neglecting the essay that was supposed to be due today for my midterm in gospel and the imagination. in between memorizing the lineage from abraham to moses, i gathered my thoughts on how to synthesize the works of karl barth, kallistos ware, flannery o'connor. i had spent a lot of time thinking about what theme i wanted to write on and spent a good amount of time thinking of a good title, intro, and conclusion. on tuesday, i started writing and began stressing out. there was no way the paper could be as good as i wanted it to be by thurs. i decided to do something i've never done - ask the professor to consider an extension.

it's crazy because he has the reputation of being one of the hardest, no nonsense professors; yet, i was willing to call him up and ask him if he would consider allowing the class to turn in the paper next tuesday instead of thursday. the thing that made me start thinking about asking was that in class, he made the mistake of saying that our tests were due on tuesday (two class periods from then). then, at the end of class, we discovered that he had the days mistaken and that he really wanted our essays on thursday (next class). i decided to call his grad asst. to ask him what he thought about my asking for an extension. instead, the professor answered. i clumsily asked about his policy for giving extensions. "not good, celina. not good." is what he said. "ok. that's what i needed to know. thank you." i said.

the next day i had spent a considerable amount of time on the paper, after taking my midterm, and decided to go home and take a shower. the idea was that i could take a shower now and spend the night in the library working. when i came out of the shower i saw that i had missed three calls from a friend in our class. when i returned the call, he asked me if i had read the email. our professor had given us an extension! i was so glad; i wanted to call everyone and let them know.

don't worry. i voiced a prayer of gratitude and prayed that my friends (who are just as swamped as i am) would receive the same type of kindness and grace from their professors.

now, i have more to do this weekend, but it will definitely be worth it.

i also started my job at waco high this week. i have a computer in my office with internet. that should explain why i'm posting...

1 Comments:

Publicar un comentario

<< Home