all my lies are only wishes

I am a bad blogger. I remember that I have a blog about once a year, but I always think I'll write more.

miércoles, noviembre 02, 2005

count the number of times i used the word "wrinkles"

i'm sitting at my new study spot for the semester, beatnix - a locally owned coffee shop away from the baylor scene - with my new friend courtney - a marvelous new seminary student who helps lead the life group i attend. it's a nice way to end a day that has been consumed by me thinking about life, growing old, and death. i mean, it's nice to be reminded that in the midst of aging (and i realize i am far from old) there are still new things to be discovered.

to be honest, my thoughts on growing old started a while back when my roommate jen remarked that she was getting crow's feet. i made her explain to me what those were - the wrinkles on the side of your eyes from laughing/smiling/squinting. of course that started others talking about their recent discoveries of wrinkles until i asked that the conversation stop. what bothered me (and i voiced my opinion, of course)was that they were not speaking of aging in the "sure i have wrinkles but it's all worth it" kind of way. they were lamenting growing old, and i couldn't handle it.

with all the happenings of the week - there was a lot. i found myself grateful for the things i've learned with time. not that there are things we can always be prepared for, but it helps to have perspective. i know it brings wrinkles, tired bones after a night of too much dancing, nights spent wondering where the time has gone - i'll admit it brings some things worthy of lament. but, there are good things that i would not give up, even if it meant foregoing the wrinkles. [to clarify, i really don't have wrinkles.]

and with my strawberry cremosa and half a cinnamon scone i shared with courtney, i'm grateful for the things that keep life fresh.

1 Comments:

Publicar un comentario

<< Home