all my lies are only wishes

I am a bad blogger. I remember that I have a blog about once a year, but I always think I'll write more.

viernes, diciembre 09, 2005

two down, one to go

it's time to turn my thoughts away from old testament study and the history of the spread of christianity to a more literary and theological frame of mind. actually, my class on the gospel and the imagination coincided quite well with my old testament class. what i'm really trying to say is, that class is over. it's time to review everything dr. wood's ever said in class.

it's interesting to go back and think about everything i've learned this semester. yesterday, in my oral exam, which

sidenote: the experience of that was what i would imagine a wedding
day to be like. i prepared and studied for an embarrasing
amount of time, only to sit and talk for 20 min. about 5
of those minutes wasn't even really related to what i had
studied, but about my life and experience with the class.
it was nice, and hopefully a sign that my answer to the
test question was satisfactory, but, man. there was no
honeymoon afterwards.

but, my professor asked how my views of God had changed throughout the semester. then, she asked how i had changed. the answers to those kinds of questions are ones that i had thought about, but had not been made to articulate until that point. it was a nice moment of reflection for me. i surprised myself a little when i realized how influenced i had been the things i've read and the conversations i've had this semester.

my thoughts are preocuppied now with theological terms, flannery o'connor, karl barth, kalistos ware, george herbert, etc. all the wonderful people we've read. i know i've posted a poem by him before, but i'll post another today. this one is becoming one of my favorite herbert poems and is one i actually got to present in class. it's a mystery how one can find comfort in recognizing humanity's finitude.


Employment. (I)

IF as a flowre doth spread and die,
Thou wouldst extend me to some good,
Before I were by frosts extremitie
Nipt in the bud;

The sweetnesse and the praise were thine;
But the extension and the room,
Which in thy garland I should fill, were mine
At thy great doom.

For as thou dost impart thy grace,
The greater shall our glorie be.
The measure of our joyes is in this place,
The stuffe with thee.
Let me not languish then, and spend
A life as barren to thy praise,
As is the dust, to which that life doth tend,
But with delaies.

All things are busie; onely I
Neither bring hony with the bees,
Nor flowres to make that, nor the husbandrie
To water these.

I am no link of thy great chain,
But all my companie is a weed.
Lord place me in thy consort; give one strain
To my poore reed.

3 Comments:

  • At 10 diciembre, 2005 22:02, Blogger Devina said…

    I took my EXCET Biology test today- I don't know...I know I missed a handful for sure and some could go either way. But I'll find out on the 30th- until then...I might start drinking or sleeping- something to pass the time- what do you suggest?

     
  • At 12 diciembre, 2005 19:17, Blogger Neil E. Golemo said…

    I think I've learned more in the last 18 months than I have in 4 years of undergrad. It boggles my mind how reading works by hawerwas, bonhoeffer, kluge, and birnbaum will change the way i speak and think on such a basic, primal level. Its strange when you think about it.

    In short, I fell ya.

    Kisses,
    Neil

     
  • At 13 diciembre, 2005 09:32, Blogger celina said…

    devina - i am fully confident that you did extremely well on the exam. you put forth a great amount of effort and time.

    as to how you should pass your time - i suggest neither one of the choices given. sleeping makes the time pass, but you don't really get much out of it. drinking? only if its with great friends. otherwise, i say read, clean out the garden, write a short story, or write some letters (including, of course, one to me).

    i'm going to see you very soon!

     

Publicar un comentario

<< Home