all my lies are only wishes

I am a bad blogger. I remember that I have a blog about once a year, but I always think I'll write more.

lunes, noviembre 28, 2005

why everyone should love mix cds

do you ever get tired of having to apologize? i'm not talking about the sorry-i-bumped-into-you apology. i'm not even thinking of the sorry-i-bumped-into-you-and-made-you-spill-hot-coffee-all-over-yourself apology. i mean the apologies you have to make for something that upon reflection was not at all accidental.

i feel like i've been working on it for most of my life now, but my impatience still always gets the better of me. it hurts people's feelings, it puts people off, and it is completely due to my feeling that my time is way more important than anyone else's. i hate when i have to apologize for being impatient. it makes me feel like all my work to remedy it has been done in vain.

i will never, though, tire of the graciousness of my friends who say things like what scott said last night after the apology - "oh. i understand. thanks for saying something about it." kindness like that cannot be forgotten.

so i have another week from gehenna! yeah! wednesday a book review and 12-15 page paper. thursday some essays to turn in as my contribution to the class final. friday another paper of 10 things i've learned in class and their significance (that i was supposed to be working on all semester long). this in addition to class reading (let's be honest, this is only going to be perused ten minutes before class). at least i'm ahead in my reading for dr. wood's class. i started my paper yesterday (1 page) and finished the book review last night.

you know what else i did last night? i made a mix cd of fun songs with happy memories to get me through the week and into finals. alright. quite begging. i'll tell you what's on it.

1. float on - modest mouse. i still have that small clip of us singing along to this song at the concert. then we booed them off the stage for stopping early. we are never satisfied.
2. underground - ben folds five. one of the first times i heard ben folds was hearing this song, and it's hilarious.
3. the late greats - wilco. it's fun, easy to sing and dance to. i'll never forget when we heard them play this song in concert - myles turned to me and said something like, "holy junk. i hate this song." and then sang along to every word like he loved it. by the way, every quote of myles that i have in my head contains the phrase "holy junk."
4. road to joy - bright eyes.
5. mr. excitement - they might be giants. "let it be known - they might be giants...dirty..."
6. haiti - arcade fire. i cannot hear this song without seeing her brilliant dance with the red gloves and high silver boots. i do try to imitate the dance.
7. why bother? - weezer. because if it's fun cd, it has to have a weezer song and almost every other song has been put on my other mix cds. besides, the song is fairly fitting for my circumstances.
8. house of bamboo - earl grant. this song is crazy silly.
9. someday - the strokes. "see alone we stand, together we fall apart..." "when we was young oh man did we have fun. always. always."
10. michael - franz ferdinand. who we watched on tv during thanksgiving and adriana laughed everytime he sang "this is what i am, i am a man so come and dance with me michael."
11. all you need in love - the beatles. "all together now..."
12. window - guster. i saw this song played live as my friend joann joined the boys on stage and played the violin part and i yelled stuff like "that's my friend!" from the audience. it was ridiculously fun.
13. gather in - john rueben. "i just wanna make the party people dance. i'll make no disclaimer about that."
14. they never got you - spoon.
15. ain't nothing like the real thing - marvin gaye. there's nothing like singing a duet by yourself.
16. to be young... - ryan adams. the first song he played when we saw him, and he was incredibly high.
17. oye como va - santana. reminds me of being awakened on saturday mornings as dad cleaned house with santana blaring. it's not a bad way to wake up, actually.
18. digging to hell - superfurry animals. i did say this week is from hell. this is a fun way to sing about it.
19. scientist - dandy warhols. it's funny because i used to say this to myself when i first started seminary and thought i was in over my head with all the theology and philosophy stuff, "i am a scientist." i think if i ever teach chemistry again it'll be a song i play for my students.
20. i am over it - dandy warhols. because it finishes the phrase that ends the song above, "let's see if we can do this is one toke...i mean, take," which i laugh at every time. anyway it seems a good song to end the cd.

it was therapeutic. i don't care if making it made me stay up longer finishing my book review. it was worth it.

6 Comments:

  • At 28 noviembre, 2005 21:57, Blogger Unknown said…

    Celina:
    A) This is my fist comment ever on your blog...a big step
    B) I feel that it would be in your best interest to begin thinking about making me another mix cd...so that I can continue to gain coolness in the music world. (I should pry also begin buying you CD's)
    Courtney

     
  • At 29 noviembre, 2005 07:36, Blogger Amy said…

    I love the CD you made me for my drive. Can't wait to see you:)

     
  • At 29 noviembre, 2005 22:00, Blogger Neil E. Golemo said…

    Um, awesome!

    Check it out: http://neilgolemo.blogspot.com/2004_03_01_neilgolemo_archive.html
    Second blog on the page. Holla.

    Kisses,
    Neil

     
  • At 30 noviembre, 2005 11:15, Blogger celina said…

    oh no. i broke rule #2. i'd make a case for it, but i believe you when you say that you're strict on it. still, i would say i did alright, huh? and...

    i always give my mix cds away when i'm finished with them. how weird is that?

    seriously. why aren't we best friends?

     
  • At 30 noviembre, 2005 20:39, Blogger Neil E. Golemo said…

    hahaha

    I lay awake at night wondering the same! ;-)

    See you Saturday, yeah?

     
  • At 12 agosto, 2010 19:10, Blogger ccap said…

    Okay, I know you're likely going to think this is spam. And so be it, I guess that's the chance I take. But, I found your blog by doing a google search of "love mix cds".

    Well, I'm the hostess of a group of about 45 people who swap mix cds for fun and to be introduced to new music and to get to know each other. Some of the swaps are challenges (scavenger hunts) and the one we have going right now is crazy easy and it's just a swap of bands that start with The (Beatles, Mavericks, you get the drift).

    Anyway, long story short I decided to see if I could hunt out some new participants and came across your blog.

    If this is of interest to you at all please feel free to email me at mixcdsforall@yahoo.ca and I'll pass on more details.

    Cynthia

     

Publicar un comentario

<< Home