all my lies are only wishes

I am a bad blogger. I remember that I have a blog about once a year, but I always think I'll write more.

sábado, diciembre 23, 2006

the books i've read

last night when i couldn't go to sleep, i decided i would blog today and list the books i have read since september. then i stayed up trying to remember the books i've read. in the order they were read (i think)by category

nonfiction:

- the silence of st. thomas by josef pieper. a re-read

- the beloved community: how faith shapes social justice, from the civil rights movement to today by charles marsh

- glimpses of glory by dave and neta jackson. a history of the first thirty years of reba place fellowship. a very honest (sometimes frightening) retelling of the community's story.

- making room: recovering hospitality as a christian tradition by christine pohl

- selected poems from the works of george herbert

- holy the firm by annie dillard

- the jewish-christian schism revisted by john howard yoder

and some fiction:

- city of joy by dominique lapierre. i started reading this one first and finished it in november. it was a difficult read for me because i was reading it at the same time i was editing my paper about my time in india. it brought to mind many memories.

- slouching towards kalamazoo by peter devries. my first check-out with my evanston public library card. devries makes me laugh with hesitation.

- a heartbreaking work of staggering genius by dave eggers. even though i've heard mixed reviews, i decided to read it. a fellow reba-ite said it was his all-time favorite book and recommended it. how could i say no? i'm glad i read it, but only because i feel it helped foster a friendship with him. he also went on to recommend really great books. otherwise, i could've done without it.

- lancelot by walker percy. my first walker percy read. i enjoyed it.

- a confederacy of dunces by john kennedy toole. a recommendation from my friend. a very funny book. great, great characters. my sister devina hated the main character so much she couldn't finish the book. it's so good.

- the shipping news by annie proulx. another recommendation from my friend. very good.

that's it. next on my list is the gift of peace by joseph cardinal bernardin, which was given to me by my dear friend amy as a graduation present. i am really excited about beginning it. and other lands have dreams: from baghdad to pekin prison by kathy kelly, who came to speak at reba. she is a peace activist who has been imprisoned for her creative acts of non-violence. she is one of the best story tellers i have ever heard. i need some fiction, though. any suggestions?

1 Comments:

  • At 11 enero, 2007 16:07, Blogger Elliot said…

    I would recommend Gilead, by Marilynne Robinson. It's awesome, and based on the other books you've listed, you'd probably like it! (if you haven't read it already)

    Interesting list, BTW. I really need to check that Marsh book out, since I keep hearing about it. :-)

     

Publicar un comentario

<< Home