all my lies are only wishes

I am a bad blogger. I remember that I have a blog about once a year, but I always think I'll write more.

sábado, enero 20, 2007

and the day is still not over

this morning i cooked breakfast. i woke up at 7. i peeled and shredded potatoes to make hashbrowns. made some scrambled eggs with cheese, onions, tomatoes, mushrooms. toast, coffee, orange juice, milk. we eat well.

after breakfast my housemates and i split up to clean the house. i was in charge of cleaning windows, dusting, and making lunch. it was 10 degrees outside and the cleaner froze to the glass. i took this as a good sign to stop cleaning the windows.

i have become the official community compost collector. so, after chores i walked to houses and collected their compost. friends at the patch household have large wooden boxes in their backyard where we collect all the compost to be used this spring when we plant our gardens in the city's community garden!

for lunch there were plenty of leftovers and free food. pizza that paul made last night. some veggie burgers from somewhere. peggy's potato soup from fri. lunch that i added milk and potato flakes to. made some tomato soup because there wasn't enough potato soup for everyone.

i'm still reading kathy kelly and her stories are affecting me. in the back of my mind are the words of amos the prophet that i read with my friends on thurs. evening. she writes, "Each Sunday in the Christian season of Advent, churchgoers anticipate the arrival of the innocent one, born into utmost poverty, who will bring forth justice for the poor, liberty for captives, sight for the blind. 'O come, O come, Emmanuel,' is sung in churches worldwide. I hear the tune now and feel haunted. Is it possible, is there some dim chance, that good-hearted care could extend to the Iraqis in Basra?"

i think about the rich in the days of amos - how they lived comfortably at the expense of the marginalized, how they enjoyed luxuries that forced some to live without. i think about driving my car. i only use it to go to work, but work is not so far that i could not leave earlier and walk. is the comfort of a warm and quick ride to work worth the price? i'm thinking that this is not ok for me to do. i am convicted and i wonder if i am strong enough to make a proper change. it is not right for me to live as though there are none who suffer for the price of my comfort. on thurs. night i want to bring it up to those in my community. my hope is that together we can find a way to live more rightly, more justly, and in obedience to God.

1 Comments:

  • At 20 enero, 2007 23:30, Blogger The Linz said…

    I admire you, Celina. I'm glad I got to hug your neck when you were here.

    Can you elaborate a little more on the car situation? I think it may be the late hour, but I'm not fully grasping how it causes others to suffer. I want to understand!

    Love you.

     

Publicar un comentario

<< Home